Saturday, May 5, 2012

Tick Tock

Just a few more days until surgery.  Date night was a success last night.  Restaurant was very easy to get in and out of.  It is a bit of a role reversal when you are getting picked up by the girl but Carly rocks so it isn't a big deal.  I felt bad about it for like a minute and then just moved on.  Out at dinner, there is a sense of normalcy as you are both sitting and you both forget about the huge boot I am wearing. That feels good...  but then as soon as dinner is over and I am awkwardly grabbing my crutches to leave, it is a quick reminder that things aren't normal.  Just more fuel for me to get this surgery done and get on the path to full recovery.

My biggest fear is being one of those people that just talks about their injury in conversation.  I noticed myself doing it early last night and it bothered me.  As a generally healthy person, I get disappointed when I talk with people and they just talk about what is happening to them health-wise.  If we must talk about health issues, I would much rather talk about what they are doing about what is happening to them.  Talk to me about your upcoming appointment/treatment/medication/etc.  Maybe this is just me but I enjoy conversations much more when talking about things that can change and how we are changing them, rather than simply talking about the current state of things.  Guess it goes along with my utter resentment of the phrase "It is what it is."  I swear Bill Belichick invented that phrase.

Today, a family friend is picking me up and we are heading out to Finksburg to have a little cookout and then play some cards.  Definitely sucks having to get rides from people but I enjoy the company as well as getting out of the house.  Plus, I haven't seen the guy in months so will be good to catch up.

Last big steps in preparation are tomorrow afternoon.  Doing a Costco/shopping run for:

  1. Miralax Stool softener (apparently opiates make you constipated...  so trying to be proactive).
  2. aleve/advil (pain
  3. soup (best to eat light after general anesthesia)
  4. vitamin C supplements (remember...  it worked on rats)
  5. Smoothie ingredients (got to have my vitamins to heal)
    1. frozen berries (because they are delicious)
    2. kefir (this stuff rocks)
    3. bananas (potassium)
    4. powdered whey protein (protein builds muscles/tendons)
  6. coconut water (potassium and vitamin C)
  7. bottled water (got to stay hydrated)
  8. sports pants with buttons or zippers down the side (got to be able to work around my monster cast)

No comments:

Post a Comment