Thursday, May 10, 2012

Night of Day 1, Day 2 and the start of Day 3

The night of the surgery was a bit uncomfortable.  It was a very restless sleep where I would wake every few hours.  I had set my alarm for 5am to remind me to take my next pain pill.  After that, I would be 24 hours past surgery and I stopped the pain meds entirely.  Without the pain meds, I was able to really get a feeling for what things were like underneath my cast...  for better and worse.

Day 2 was filled with movie watching and I now know why my little sister talks about Hulu.  What a great service.  I watched a bunch of modern family, family guy, and american dad.  Love those shows.  Movie-wise, I watched the new Mission Impossible and Horrible Bosses.  Neither was that good but helped kill the time.  I had watched Green Lantern and Thor the other day.  Thor was much better than I thought it would be and I am a sucker for anything that stars Ryan Reynolds.  If you haven't seen Van Wilder, you are doing yourself a disservice.

The biggest issue has to be my back.  Laying around all day sounds glorious but the mattress I am on is rather squishy.  The mattresses I like are basically the equivalent of carpet covered flooring.  As such, I sink into the mattress and my back is not enjoying this one bit.  I think it is also my body's way of saying "Stop being a lazy jerk."  How do those 600 lb. people do it?

The night of Day 2 was much better.  Still woke up a few times (due to my back) but other than that, slept mostly through the night.  I awoke to Day 3 with much less pain in my ankle.  Actually, when it is elevated, I hardly think about it.  Having read other people's recoveries, many others stay on pain meds for days after surgery.  I am grateful that I only used them for the first 24 hours.

My Mom has been awesome and every day has made me a smoothie along with making sure I have a cooler of food/water next to me.  If there was a Hall of Fame for Moms, I am pretty sure mine would be a first ballot inductee.  I have tried to stay focused on getting my nutrients everyday and helping the body heal. Tonight, we are doing up some of the Omaha Steaks I had ordered in advance.  Just my little way of trying to thank Mom and Glen for their hospitality.  I owe them more than steaks but at least this is a little down payment.

Big achievements will happen on Day 3:
1) I just pooped for the first time since surgery.  I cannot tell you how happy this made me.  The ankle did really well during the whole experience.  It is the little things that matter most during recovery...
2) Shower day.  I haven't showered since the surgery and I need to keep my hygiene up (and use my fancy shower chair and cast cover).  I think that would make me feel better too.
3) Hang out in the living room.  The last 48 hours have basically been spent between the bedroom and the bathroom...  time to venture out to the living room like Uncle Traveling Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment