Friday, May 18, 2012

Aftermath of the First Post-Op Visit

As expected, I got my stitches out and got put into my CAM walker boot.  I am such a huge wuss when it comes to any type of gore.   I even got a little queasy looking at my own ankle.  Below are the pics from cast through stitch removal.  I should have taken pictures of my calf as it is much smaller already.  I was impressed with how little swelling I had.  In fact, my Mom made a comment of how skinny my ankle was.  That is definitely a positive and is probably why I have had virtually zero pain since the first few days after surgery.

My doctor gave me a very loose, verbal plan.  No weight bearing for another 5 weeks.  I am to passively work the ankle 5 minutes twice a day.  Every two weeks, I am supposed to remove a wedge from my boot as I gradually get more flexibility in the tendon.  I have a follow-up appointment at the 6-week post-op to review progress and start physical therapy.

Being in the boot is a double-edged sword.  My foot is much more exposed but at least now I can do some passive movement which (if the internet forums and blogs are to be believed) accelerates the recovery timeline a little.  Now, I need to get disciplined and focus on making progress without hurting myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment