Monday, May 14, 2012

Its the Freaking Weekend

Under the circumstances, things are progressing quite well.  It is now Day 6 and my pain is down to basically nothing.  The only time the ankle bothers me is at night.  I keep it propped up at night on top of some pillows but I think the ankle gets cranky when it stays in one place for too long.  It woke me up a few times early this morning.  The pain is just a mild throbbing that disappears as soon as I move around a little.

Friday marked the first drinks I have had since the surgery. Glen and I enjoyed some excellent T&T's and pretty soon, I was feeling pretty good.  Not the best thing to do when on crutches but I wasn't moving around too much for it to matter.

Carly came by Friday night and brought some dark chocolate non-pareils and asked the eternal question of what is a pareil and why is it excluded from these delicious confectionary treats?  Regardless, I found it amusing that my family has been eating non-pareils for as long as I can remember and apparently hers has as well.  Must be an Essex thing.

When Carly came over, it really gave me perspective on my current situation.  Here is a 30 year old man at his Mom's house who requires crutches to move around.  Definitely not the type of impression you want to make in an early relationship.  Should provide some extra motivation in physical therapy to get me back to functional.

Saturday was one of the nicest days of the year and I hung outside for most of it.  Mr. Tinker stopped by and brought some tuna fish and cards...  also known as a "Parkville Care Package."  Good man.  We grilled up some burgers and chatted it up out on the deck then played Golf;  A game with just enough skill and luck to be mindless fun.

Sunday was Mother's Day and I once again gave her the best gift a mother could ever want: a handicapped son  to wait on.  Who needs cards or flowers?  We went over to my brother's for a nice cookout.  My niece (4) was rather curious what happened to me and Gavin (13) thought that the crutches were his new toy. I kept giving him random "crutch challenges" to do like "go get 2 bottles of water and bring them back" or "leaving the crutches at my size, go all the way over there and back."  At least he wasn't playing video games.

The follow-up doctor's appointment is on Thursday and I should get the stitches out and get put into my boot again.  That will be my first time to see the wound.  I am pretty sure it will be a nice size cut and I will also be sure to snap some pictures.  I think things are coming along right on schedule but it is just the start of a long road.  I keep reminding myself to be patient and repeating my new mantra: "Soon enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment