Thursday, May 3, 2012

Can I Do Anything To Heal Faster?

I like problems and I also like fixing them.

I have a problem: Torn achilles.  Solution: That's easy.  Surgery.  Check.

Next problem: Recovery.  Solution: Rest and then physical therapy...  but how can I recover faster?

I have been scouring the internet looking for any supplements/vitamins/etc. that I could use to aid my recovery along.  Some of it is snake oil of course but there have been a few things to note.

The human body is a big chemistry set.  It requires a combination of elements to make it function.  The more elements it has available when it needs them, the better it functions.  Here are things that I have looked at as being part of my diet as I recover:

1) Vitamins
    I have chewable vitamins that I bought at Costco and take periodically.  I will make sure that I take these throughout my recovery daily.  I also love smoothies and will be using Kefir and frozen berries to add more vitamins and nutrients to my diet.

2) Potassium
     Several people who have had the achilles surgery mention the potential for muscle cramps during recovery.  I can only imagine that being extra painful with a stitched together achilles so having plenty of potassium in my diet should hopefully counteract that.  I love Vita Coco Coconut Water which has a ton of potassium and other nutrients.  I should be good on this as long as I keep these in the fridge.

3) Vitamin C
      There are studies that show vitamin C aiding achilles tendon repair...  in rats.  Well, if it can work for a rat, why not a human...  plus, it wont kill me to take a little more vitamin C.  I should get a ton of Vitamin C from the coconut water that I will be drinking.

4) Protein
      This is a big one.  Can't rebuild without it.  I will use a normal protein powder in daily smoothies to make sure I am getting all the protein my body can handle.  One interesting thing is collagen.  Did some reading and bought some supplements.  Hopefully it aids the recovery period along.

5) Bromelain
      This was a new one to me but has some merit with reducing inflamation with joints.  I think I will pass on this one and only look into it when all other options are exhausted.

6) Cissus Quadrangular
      Sounds like a bit of snake oil but does have some positive studies that may be reputable...  if the Indian Journal of Pharmacology is legit...  Same as the Bromelain though in my mind.  Witch doctor remedies are gonna sit this one up for now.

2 comments:

  1. I tore my achilles two weeks ago and had surgery a week and a half ago. I'm in a cast and going tomorrow to get a new one. I think I'm going to ask if there is any way to get out of the cast faster. He said I will be in the new cast for an additional four weeks, but I go to work in two weeks and I'm not sure how crutches and a cast will work for this. How long were you in a cast? Did any of this work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in my cast for 1 week and then moved to the CAM boot with several wedges. I was told to stay off of it but to do some gentle range of motion as some light physical therapy. Staying in the cast is not ideal as you prohibit any kind of movement. I was able to work from home while I was non-weight bearing which made life a lot easier... though I was a lot less efficient at work. Every two weeks, I would remove a wedge from the boot to slowly bring my foot to flat and weight bearing. That took roughly 6 weeks from surgery. Depending on what kind of work you do, you may want to try a similar arrangement. Else, being on crutches and unable to drive definitely affects your work product. I am more than willing to help you with any other questions you may have but I will encourage you to take it slow. This is not an injury you will bounce back quickly from.

    ReplyDelete